Wednesday 9 October 2013

Banking problems...

So I thought once I got my medical insurance figured out that would be the last of my problems... I WAS SO WRONG!!! I went into TD bank today to set up an account because they have Canadian/ US branches. I thought it was going to be easy, walk in set it up. I could not of been more wrong! I was looking forward to switching to TD bank because I don't know why I just was! I am just going to explain the whole thing. It starts off with my mom as soon as I get back from camp. She wanted to switch my account right away, I said I wanted to wait. I wanted to wait until I bought everything I needed, so that way the money I had in that account was the exact amount I had once I got there. Then I decided not a good idea as I would probably be buying things right up to my arrival date. So today I walk into the bank, its a new branch and so its all nice and new and I was feeling good! I was thinking that this was going to work out exactly as I had planed I am going to get this account set up and I did everything correctly. I couldn't of been more wrong if i had tried! We talked to one nice man who directed us to someone else. I thought okay this is a good sign every thing is going as planed! Yeah I was wrong again. She said a cross border account was not a good idea because I am going to be living there for a year. She told me to open an account once I am there. I was thinking thats fine, I will bring all my money to the US and open an account and put all of the money in the account once I get there. Problem is my mom was going on about how she was going to do some money transfer into my account. I don't really understand that because she would be transferring canadian money and frankly that will not help me in america. She said to set up an account with american access would take about two months because the papers would need to be sent from the US to Canada and then back. Then I was going to sign up for something and put money in one account so when i get down there I can call and get it transferred. Sounded simple enough so I decided why not. This of course was after me asking my mom if she would be okay with me taking my money down there in cash not in a bank account. The lady who was helping us obviously looked stressed. In fact at one point she had her elbows on the table and her hands on her head. YOUR JOB IS TO TELL US WHAT WE ARE TO DO! HELP US, DON'T MAKE FUN OF US!!! It turns out I couldn't even make an account because I didn't have two valid pieces of ID on me. I had my licence and my health card, but of course they don't like health cards. Right that makes sense, a government issued OHIP card is a no but a drivers licence is okay? yeah makes total sense! Anyway I finally asked how close the TD was to housing at disney, turns out its a 15-20 min dive. That is if you have a car, which I don't I would need to take a taxi or a bus to get there. I have started to look into what other banks are closer and what other people on the program have gone with. I don't mind making the trip to the bank I just need to figure out how to get there. I also don't know if I need a social insurance card or not. I will figure it out, hopefully soon before it gets to close to my arrival date. It just sucks that I need to take my money down in person. I don't know how much I want to bring I know its a lot but I was thinking between 1-2 thousand. I want to have enough to get what I need when I get down there and have enough that if I am ever in an emergency I have enough money. I will figure it out soon though and when I do you will be the first to know, who ever you are!


Have a magical day,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment